We all know how important networking can be, especially in today’s economy. Here are some tips from Missy Quinn, Director of Recruitment for Contemporary Staffing Solutions, who spoke at the YWTF Philly networking panel. She shared her wealth of expertise with those in attendance. Among the key tips she offered were:
1. Begin with a plan…Why are you attending?
2. Have your 30 second commercial prepared about yourself/your business. Make sure you’ve practiced so you come off confident.
3. Bring your business cards. Nothing should be crossed off on your card.
4. Wear a watch so you can keep track of time. Get what you can and the move on.
5. Try to get a list of the people who will be attending, then make a plan to meet them. Make sure you know something about their company/business.
6. Pass leads first. If you do, you will have it come back to you tenfold.
7. Name tags should be worn on the right side of your suit jacket so they’re easily read when you shake hands.
8. Wear a suit jacket with two pockets or carry a business card case with two sections. Put their cards in the left pocket and your own cards in the right pocket.
9. Bring a small hand bag with a pen to give/get referrals.
10. If you go with a co-worker, spread out so you’ll be able to make more contacts.
11. Make sure you keep your contact list updated.
12. Follow up by e-mail, phone, interest, coffee or lunch and have fun!